A Dunedin man who waged a two-and-half year harassment campaign against a businessman in the city can now be named.
Jeremy Fraser Buis’ name suppression, which has been in place since he first appeared in court in May 2015, was lifted by Judge Paul Kellar when he appeared for sentencing in the Dunedin District Court on Friday morning.
However, Judge Kellar permanently suppressed his occupation.
Buis was found guilty of criminal harassment, threatening to do grievous bodily harm and intentional damage in the judge’s reserved decision delivered on Thursday.
* Government employee allegedly involved in harassment campaign
* Government employee accused of harassment campaign
* ‘I did my homework on him’
* Friend of man accused of waging war
He was convicted, sentenced to 200 hours community work and ordered to pay emotional harm reparation of $15,000.
“From what should have been an innocuous incident about parking I am sure that Mr Buis has engaged in a sustained period of harassment of (victim) for a period of over two years.”
Complainant Danny Pryde, who waived his right to name suppression, said in a victim impact statement: “I feared for my life and my wife and children.”
“It was a living hell for us.”
He and his wife had to undergo counselling, his health was impacted and he constantly worried for his children.
He recalled the time he saw a photo of himself on the New Zealand Dating website, which had been uploaded by Buis, and said it made him and his wife “feel sick”.
Seeing his name tagged around Dunedin was “traumatic” and the drawings of penises alongside his name were humiliating.
Buis’s counsel Anne Stevens said her client sought permanent name suppression to protect his family.
Judge Kellar noted the planning, premeditation and sophistication of the offending and the harassment had “hit its mark”.
“This is inexplicable behaviour.
“This is an absolute tragedy.”