A lone gunman fired a shot while robbing a hotel in the latest armed pub robbery in Canterbury.
Police, including the Armed Offenders Squad, were called to Hotel Ashburton, on the town’s Racecourse Rd, about 11.20pm on Wednesday, Detective Inspector Darryl Sweeney said.
The man entered the hotel and fired a shot before taking off with cash. It is the seventh armed pub robbery in the region this year.
Do you know more? Email email@example.com.
“The scene was closed down overnight and will be subject to a full scene examination today by Ashburton police,” Sweeney said.
Police believed the last six robberies were “related”, but have refused to release CCTV footage.
“We are treating them as one set of robberies … there are commonalities,” Sweeney said previously.
* Six aggravated robberies across Canterbury ‘related’, police say
* Brickworks Bar and Restaurant robbed twice
About four of five people were in the Ashburton hotel at the time, he said, but no-one was injured.
The pub is set to hold a meeting on Thursday to address local youth crime It is to be hosted by Rangitata MP Jo Goodhew, Associate Police Minister Mark Mitchell and Ministry of Justice representatives.
In the last armed hotel robbery on April 6 a lone gunman fired two shots at the Springston Hotel, near Lincoln, before escaping with cash on April 6.
During a robbery last month at the Brickworks Bar and Restaurant, a gunman blasted his way through the front door when staff refused to let him in.
Wednesday’s robbery was the second gun-related job for Canterbury police after two people were shot and injured in Rolleston.
SPATE OF AGGRAVATED PUB ROBBERIES
– January 18: Tavern Harewood robbed by man with sawn-off shotgun.
– March 10: Tavern Harewood robbed for a second time.
– March 15: Brickworks Bar and Restaurant employee forced to the floor by a man who pointed a shotgun at his head.
– March 24: Cash stolen in robbery of Trevino’s Restaurant and Bar.
– March 30: Gunman blasts his way through door at Brickworks Bar and Restaurant.
– April 6: Gunman fires two shots into the air during Springston Hotel robbery.
– April 19: Gunman fires a shot into the air during Hotel Ashburton robbery.