1493183453054 - A bevy of boozed up offenders fined for drink driving

A bevy of boozed up offenders fined for drink driving

A young man nabbed for drink driving has been warned not to use his mother as a taxi service during his six month disqualification.

Regan Ian Hay, 21, pleaded guilty to drink driving after he was caught speeding by police on Devon Rd on April 8. He was one of five drivers caught drunk behind the wheel this month who appeared in District Court in New Plymouth on Wednesday.

Detective Sergeant Dave MacKenzie said Hay was driving north on Devon Rd about 2.35am when police snapped him travelling at a speed of 72 kmh in a 60kmh zone.

After being breath tested, Hay returned a result of 650 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath, more than twice the legal limit of 250 mcg.

* Gisborne bus crash driver appears in court facing 30 charges
* Police Commissioner Mike Bush admits drink driving conviction
* Queenstown road workers ‘detain’ drink-driver by taking car keys
* Repeat drink driver jailed for Papakura crash that left seven injured
* Judge chastises young pregnant woman in court for drink driving

Lawyer Susan Hurley said Hay had no previous convictions but admitted to drinking beer and spirits before getting behind the wheel.

“He took the risk and was caught for speeding,” she said.

Community magistrate Robyn Paterson said she was concerned about Hay’s decision to drive.

“To not realise that you were over the limit is quite frightening,” she said.

Hay lives with his parents and was supported in court by his mother.  

Paterson warned the defendant not to rely on his mother to “be your taxi”  while he observed the six month driving disqualification she imposed on Wednesday.

Hay was also fined $600 and ordered to pay costs of $130.  

In another case, Paterson told the court Waitara man Corey Jasmin Toa’s attempt to try and sleep off the effects of a bout of heavy drinking was “a trap many have fallen into”.

On April 14, the 38-year-old was stopped on Cracroft St  about 10.45am and breath-testing procedures were carried out. Toa blew 663 mcg. 

MacKenzie said the defendant told police he thought he would be alright as he had a sleep before attempting to drive.

Paterson fined the defendant $650, along with court costs and Toa was also banned from driving for six months.

Mitchell James Rattenbury’s night out on the same day turned out to be more costly than he ever imagined, after he was caught drink driving.

Police were called to the McDonald’s restaurant on Eliot St about 12.35am on April 14 after Rattenbury, who was in drive-through queue, reversed his car into the vehicle behind him, causing minor damage.

MacKenzie said he was breath tested by officers at the scene and returned a result of 717mcg.

Paterson chastised the first offender for his stupidity.

“You must have known you were over the limit,” she told Rattenbury.

“I had an inking, yes” he replied.

She warned him his antics were going to hit him in the pocket.

“It’s going to be an expensive night out for you,” Paterson said before imposing a fine and court costs totalling $830, along with reparation of $300 for the damage caused during the drive-through prang.

Rattenbury was also disqualified from driving for six months.

Self-employed butcher Shane Kearton was also in line for a grilling from Paterson, after he was arrested for drink driving on April 1.

About 3.45am, Kearton was stopped by police on Mangorei Rd in New Plymouth after officers noticed one of the headlights on the defendant’s ute was not working.

After he was evidentially breath-tested, Kearton gave a reading of 461 mcgs.

“The level’s 250 and you’re well over it,” Paterson said.

Paterson imposed a six month disqualification and ordered the defendant to pay $580 in fines and court costs.

The final of the five offenders Steven John Malster told the court his first brush with the law would be his last.

After the 20-year-old was stopped on Courtenay St in New Plymouth on April 2 by police, he returned a result of 567 mcgs after being breath-tested.

Paterson fined the Egmont Village man $550 plus court costs and disqualified him from driving for six months.

She asked Malster what he had learned from the experience.

“Never to do it again,” he answered.  

Crime Patrol Dial 100 - क्राइम पेट्रोल - Ep 506 - Ghaziabad Triple Murder - 14th Jun, 2017

Click here to Subscribe to SetIndia Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/setindia?sub\_confirmation=1 Click to watch all the ...